Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel - Samantha Grace I thought the book was okay but not more. The heroine has some self esteem problems due to a broken engagement and certain comments made by her mother, who to me came across as bi-polar. So when the hero starts pursuing her, she does not believe him or trust him. And she is right at first. The hero appears to be the third son of a duke (we get to meet one older brother, a younger sister and we hear about 2 more younger sisters). He is carefree, just having inherited an estate and a town house, presumably with appropriate funds from his god father. He sees no need to tie himself down and does what most younger sons can't really afford, living the high life. The heroine is considered off limits due to her being the sister of (while not a close) school chum and a good friend of his highly pregnant sister-in-law. He enlists the help of the younger sister, we meet and their interactions are typical of siblings. The hero is quite believable, the heroine could not make up her mind.

There is kidnapping plot thrown in, which I thought was really unnecessary and only seemed to be the platform for the heroine to want to change her mind again.

What I did like, was the age of the hero. In most romance novels we have this thirty something hero; in reality I assume that unless he came into his title late, and then he would likely be married already, people married young.

Now this has little to do with the book and is just my take on the time the story is set in. I don't doubt that most married the "legit" society wife for the legit heir and the pressure to do so was likely real. And marrying young, providing the heir, allowed both, husband and wife to live their own lives while still relatively young. However, many had their "real" families on the side (aptly shown in To Wed a Stranger). There was a "surplus" of women, because many younger sons died fighting Napoleon. Also, women (girls in today's terms) had to marry young not only because often their families could not afford to give more than one or two "seasons" but also many died in child bed. It was not unusual for a titled man to be widowed more than once.

So with all that in mind, the heroine had good reasons to believe that this younger son who did not have to take the King's coin nor did he have to provide an heir or spare was not marriage material and as she believed herself to be only of interest to fortune hunters, her actions did make some sense. It just went on too long and too often. We do see the hero changing his mind about marriage and once he does, he works towards that goal.