Blackmailed Bridegroom and the Luckless Elopement: Regency 2-in-1 Special - Dorothy Mack I only reviewed the first story, never quite got into the other one:

Here we have the story of a young woman trying to get the upper hand in the game of life. Her father and brother (being also the provider of life necessities) die as a result of a duel. Heroine, her mother and sister along with an old servant (nanny) have to leave the life as they knew it and retreat to the country where they are able to live on their severely reduced income. After the mother dies, the heroine decides to take her sister to town, hoping against hope to be able to persuade their cousin who had inherited the title and all the income that came along with the title, to sponsor her younger sister. For herself, she had decided to enter a marriage of convenience with a local. On their way to town they meet by chance the man the heroine holds responsible for the duel and thus for the death of her father and brother and therefore also for their reduced circumstances. By accident, the hero and heroine are found in a compromising situation by a political opponent of the hero. Heroine forces hero to marry her and sponsor her sister.

The hero seeing no way out of the situation marries her and agrees to sponsor the sister. He makes it clear that he now (he had tried to talk to her after he had wounded her brother and had wanted to offer help) despises her and that he will use her only what we today would call "eye candy".

They settle into an uneasy live. The hero frequently sees his long-term mistress who he readily admits, he uses as an emotional crutch. Then someone is slowly trying to poison the hero. His suspicion falls on the heroine. He punishes her in my eyes totally unforgivable. Despite all, he falls in love with her. When the culprit is finally found and the hero realizes how badly he wronged the heroine (he was already disgusted with himself but at least at that point he believe that she also had done him wrong), he feels wrenched. He breaks it off with his mistress who was a surprisingly likable character and pounds on how he could win the love of the heroine.

They both had wronged the other, but whose sin was greater? Both forced life altering changes on the other. Both did so under faulty perception. She forced him to give up any hope he might have had to marry someone he loved and have children. What he did to her certainly was legal during the time the story is set in.

I did not see either really apologizing for what they did. His way of telling her how much he loved her was unique and she certainly appreciated it. I could see the appreciation on both sides; I did not quite see how they fell in love with each.