My baby started Chemo today
My baby started Chemo today

I don't know if I had said this before (maybe on GR); my oldest baby, Madison has cancer. We found out last summer. At first it looked really grim, with maybe two months until unbearable pain, the cancer being the worse kind (bone cancer) to encounter. One option was to counter this pain with radiation. However, we don't have a facility here in Vancouver and I was hesitant to send her away during her final weeks. Then came a streak of luck, the tumor, while aggressive, was operable. The surgeon was confident, he could get all of it. While he immediately said that it was not a cure as the cancer likely had already spread, with operating, chemo and radiation, we would be able to buy her quality time. It was a no-brainer and we went for it.

Madison had a ball at the University of Washington, even went to a home coming parade in Idaho. And this is a dog who will not go to strangers, will not go near strange males (we think she was abused before she came to us). In short, the trip appeared to be not only for her physical health but also for her mental health.

Unfortunately, at last month's check-up scan, the tumor made a re-occurrence. Without treatment, we are back where we were last summer: two months until pain and lousy quality of life. With treatment, maybe double this. My standard question to the vet is usually: what would you do if it were your dog? Given that cost is less of a factor for the vet. After consulting all who are in involved in her care, we came up with the following to insure her quality of life: every 4 weeks, intravenous bone strengthener as the pain of bone cancer is the result of the bone shattering and oral chemo, alternating days strong with milder strength (not sure why).

Cross your fingers that I can keep her pain-free for a few more months.